The venues of the 5th Mardin Biennial have been announced. Six different locations composed of various venues and public spaces within the historical site of the region will host the biennial.


Iskender Atamyan Mansion, used during World War I as German Headquarters, by reason of Germany’s being an ally of the Ottoman Empire, dates back to the 19th Century and is compatible in structure with Mardin mansions. There are many original photographs of the mansion and elements that render it significant are the fact that in 1917, it was a building that had been used by the Germans during World War I as headquarters and that it had also been used by Mustafa Kemal Pasha as garrison, dwelling and headquarters.

The Camel Inn

The Camel Inn is one of the crucial examples of mansions influenced by traditional Mardin architecture. Located in Gül District, just below the Castle of Mardin, the inn overlooks the Mesopotamian plain. Since no inscription or historical data has been found regarding its history, the exact date the structure was built is unknown. Nevertheless, considering the architectural features of the inn, it could be inferred that the first two floors were built in the 19th century and the last floor between 1940 and 1950. Camel mangers can be found in the courtyard and barn section, which are located on the ground floor. Historically, the inn had become one of the stops frequented by camel caravans to rest, thus, had developed into one of the trade centres of the region. It changed hands over time among many well-established families in Mardin and had been utilised for various uses such as residential space and trade centre. It has been being restored since 2019. The inn will be put into service for the first time since then for the 5th Mardin Biennial.


The International Design Foundation Art Gallery was originally built as an outbuilding of the house, which belonged to the Şalleme family, a merchant family from Mardin. The composition of the building, which was designed to function as a warehouse in which products are stored and loaded onto camels, was influenced by the 19th century Mardin architecture. The structure was later bought by the Dabbakoğlu family, occupation of which was mainly leatherwork. As a result, the building was then utilised as a place where traditional productions such as leather processing and shoemaking were made and stored until the 1940s. After being used as a military cafeteria for a period, the building was converted into a residence after 1970. With the restoration carried out in 2020, it has now become an art gallery.


The Mansion with Oriel Windows, which faces the Mesopotamian plain, is one of the great examples of traditional two-storey Mardin residences. The structure, which was approximately built between 1830 and 1850, is known to belong to the Kavas family, one of the merchant families of Mardin. It is one of the three mansions with oriel windows in the region. While it is known that the architect of the other two mansions is Lole the Chief Architect, it is only estimated that this particular mansion is also one of his projects. The lower floor had been used as a caravanserai in which merchandise shipments were carried out.

The mansion was restored in 2017, and now serves as an art gallery and a café.


The mansion on the upper part of the Revaklı Çarşı,(Arcaded Shopping Center) also known as Sipahiler/Tellallar Çarşısı (Cavalrymen or Criers’ Shopping Center) is operated as a coffee house for carpenters.


The structure, which was first built as a traditional Mardin mansion in the 19th century, was used as an office by the Germans who arrived in the region for the construction of the Baghdad railway in 1910. Its east-facing facade was altered as a result of the expansion of the 1st Street to make it suitable for vehicle traffic. The cloister of the structure, which was formerly utilised to carry out various commercial activities such as soccer ball workshop, silver filigree workshop, warehouse and local product sales shop, was transformed into an art gallery in 2022.